Berlin, 10. March, 2021 – The introduction of the Covid-19 vaccines across the globe has prompted discussions on the need for vaccination documentation. Veridos, a world-leading provider of integrated identity solutions, explains the five prerequisites of a secure and effective vaccination certificate.
The ongoing pandemic has created a need for a Covid-19 vaccination certificate that enables everyday activities such as visiting relatives in nursing homes or attending concerts, or even international travel, without the risk of further spreading the virus. Consequently, there is a need for a universally applicable solution that takes already existing (identification) processes of each scenario into account and links them securely and efficiently. At the same time, issuer, citizens, and verification personnel must trust the solution and find it easy to use. Only then can the widespread adoption of such a certificate be accomplished. Veridos lists the five key points in achieving this:
- Keeping data to a minimum: A secure vaccination certificate must minimize the data included about an individual, using only biographical information based on the specifications of the World Health Organization (WHO) and the European Commission. Issuers should ensure that certificates are internationally comparable without storing any unnecessary information.
- Inclusive formats: Availability of vaccination certificates must be accessible to all citizens regardless of their access to technology, meaning citizens should have the option of a digital or physical hard-copy certificate.
- Remote verification: Equally as essential is a secure, contactless remote verification process. Through the use of smartphones or tablets as verification devices, certifications can be verified at a safe distance, using technology already widely available.
- Using existing public key infrastructures (PKI): In order to streamline deployment and maintain security standards, governments should definitely consider putting existing PKIs to use in the creation of the certificates, making international operability quick and easy to implement.
- Implementing a nationwide, standardized solution: Whether at vaccination and testing centers or at local doctors’ offices, care should be taken to avoid any additional administrative burden on healthcare workers. While IT systems may vary between certification issuing sites, the integration of a single solution will create consistency and efficiency across the board.
“With the growing availability of Covid-19 vaccinations, the introduction of a vaccination certificate is an essential step in the return to normal life,” says Marc-Julian Siewert, COO at Veridos. “In order to enable fast implementation, existing international standards and infrastructures should be utilized. An inclusive, secure platform such as the VeriGO® TrueSeal solution is the perfect way to ensure the widespread adoption of an internationally-recognized certificate.”
About Veridos GmbH
Veridos GmbH creates secure identification and identity solutions for governments and public authorities throughout the world. A joint venture of Giesecke+Devrient (G&D) and state-owned Bundesdruckerei, Veridos was founded in January 2015 and pools the expertise of the two largest German providers for high-security technologies to serve the international market.
The Veridos portfolio includes solutions for the production and personalization of passport documents, ID cards, driver’s licenses, and healthcare cards. These are complemented by data management systems for personalization, issuance, and documentation, as well as solutions for personal identification, voter registration, and border control. In addition to its headquarters in Berlin and the operating facility in Munich, Veridos is represented around the world including in Brazil, Canada, Mexico, Singapore, the USA, and the United Arab Emirates.
Nov 14, 2019 -- ePasslet Suite v3 – cryptovision’s Java card framework for electronic ID documents – will be available in 2020 on SECORA™ ID, Infineon’s new Java card operating system. Using ePasslet Suite, users of SECORA™ ID can easily and flexibly
Entrust Datacard Earns Frost & Sullivan North American Product Leadership Award for its IoT Cybersecurity Solution, ioTrust
Santa Clara, CA, United States, 2019/07/25 - Based on its recent analysis of the North American Internet of Things (IoT) cybersecurity market, Frost & Sullivan recognizes Entrust Datacard Corporation with the 2019 North American Product Leadership Award for its ioTrust
HONG KONG, 29 May, 2019 - Advanced Card Systems Ltd. (ACS), Asia Pacific's top supplier and one of the world's top 3 suppliers of PC-linked smart card readers (Source: Frost & Sullivan), exhibits in Securing Federal Identity 2019 from 4
Amsterdam, June 5, 2013 - Gemalto (Euronext NL0000400653 GTO, the world leader in digital security, will supply the Government Printing Works (GPW) of South Africa with Sealys eID cards for their national identity program. GPW will harness Gemalto’s secure embedded software to protect the
MINNEAPOLIS—(August 24, 2018)—Entrust Datacard, a leading provider of trusted identity and secure transaction technology solutions, today announced new, innovative capabilities for the company’s Mobile Smart Credential solution — including Bluetooth functionality which provides automated login and logout support across platforms