NXP MIFARE® DESFire® EV1 8K Card
- NFC Tag Type 4 compliant
- Secure, high-speed command set
- Transaction-oriented automatic anti-tear mechanism
- Privacy protection
- Optional high input capacitance (70pF) for small form factor design (MF3ICDH 21/41/81)
- Configurable ATS information for card personalization
- 8 kB EEPROM with fast programming
- Data retention of 10 years
- Write endurance typical 500 000 cycles
- Flexible file system
- Up to 28 applications simultaneously on one PICC
- Up to 32 files in each application (standard data file, back-up data file, value file, linear record file, and cyclic record file)
- File size is determined during creation
- Fully ISO/IEC 14443 A 1-4 compliant
- Contactless transmission of data and powered by the RF-field (no battery needed)
- Operating distance: up to 100 mm (depending on power provided by the PCD and antenna geometry)
- Operating frequency: 13.56 MHz
- Fast data transfer: 106 kbit/s, 212 kbit/s, 424 kbit/s, 848 kbit/s
- High data integrity: 16/32 bit CRC, parity, bit coding, bit counting
- True deterministic anti-collision
- 7 bytes unique identifier (cascade level 2 according to ISO/IEC 14443-3 and option for random ID)
- Uses ISO/IEC 14443-4 protocol
- Crypto algorithm in hardware
- Common Criteria Certification: EAL4+ (Hardware and Software)
- Unique 7 bytes serial number for each device
- Optional “RANDOM” ID to enhance security and privacy
- Mutual three-pass authentication
- Mutual authentication according to ISO/IEC 7816-4
- 1 card leader key and up to 14 keys per application
- Hardware DES using 56/112/168 bit keys featuring key version, data authenticity by 8-byte CMAC
- Choice of open DES/2K3DES/3KDES/AES
- Hardware AES using 128-bit keys featuring key version, data authenticity by 8-byte CMAC
- Data encryption on RF-channel
- Authentication on application level
- Hardware exception sensors
- Self-securing file system
- Backward compatibility to MF3ICD40: 4 byte MAC, CRC 16
ISO/IEC 7816 compatibility
- Supports ISO/IEC 7816-3 APDU message structure
- Supports ISO/IEC 7816-4 INS code ‘A4’ for SELECT FILE
- Supports ISO/IEC 7816-4 INS code ‘B0’ for READ BINARY
- Supports ISO/IEC 7816-4 INS code ‘D6’ for UPDATE BINARY
- Supports ISO/IEC 7816-4 INS code ‘B2’ for READ RECORDS
- Supports ISO/IEC 7816-4 INS code ‘E2’ for APPEND RECORD
- Supports ISO/IEC 7816-4 INS code ‘84’ for GET CHALLENGE
- Supports ISO/IEC 7816-4 INS code ‘88’ for INTERNAL AUTHENTICATE
- Supports ISO/IEC 7816-4 INS code ‘82’ for EXTERNAL AUTHENTICATE
- Proven, Reliable Technology – MIFARE DESFire EV1 is based on open global standards for security, and is interoperable with existing MIFARE infrastructures.
- Fast Processing and Data Communication – Transaction times are less than 100 milliseconds for a typical secure ticketing transaction.
- Flexible file system
- Multiple crypto support on one single card
- Standards Compliant – MIFARE DESFire EV1 is fully complaint with ISO 14443A 1-4, and has been awarded CC EAL 4+ for smart card security.
|MIFARE DESFire EV3||MIFARE DESFire EV2||MIFARE DESFire EV1|
|ISO/IEC 14443 A 1-4||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|ISO/IEC 7816-4 support||Extended||Extended||Extended|
|EEPROM data memory||2/4/8KB||2/4/8/16/32KB||2/4/8KB|
|Flexible file structure||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|NFC Forum Tag Type 4||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Unique ID||7B UID or 4B RID||7B UID or 4B RID||7B UID or 4B RID|
|Number of applications||As many as memory size supports||As many as memory size supports||28|
|Number of files per app||32||32||32|
|Data rates supported||Up to 848 Kbit/s||Up to 848 Kbit/s||Up to 848 Kbit/s|
|Crypto algorithms supported||DES/2K3DES/
|CC certification (HW+SW)||EAL 5+||EAL 5+||EAL 4+|
|Delegated Application Management (Multi-Application)||Yes, preloaded keys||Yes||–|
|SUN (Secure Unique NFC Message)||Yes, compatible with NTAG DNA||–||–|
|Transaction MAC per app||Yes||Yes||–|
|Multiple keysets per app||Up to 16 keysets||Up to 16 keysets||–|
|Multiple file access rights||Up to 8 keys||Up to 8 keys||–|
|Inter-app file sharing||Yes||Yes|
|Virtual Card Architecture||Yes||Yes||–|
|Delivery types||Wafer, MOA4, MOA8, 1FF (ID-1) & 2FF (SIM)||Wafer, MOA4, MOA8, 1FF (ID-1) & 2FF (SIM)||Wafer, MOA4, MOA8, 1FF (ID-1) & 2FF (SIM)|
MIFARE is NXP‘s well-known brand for a wide range of contactless IC products used in more than 40 different applications worldwide. With more than 150 million reader core components and 5 billion smart card ICs sold, MIFARE products are more proven and more reliable than any other interface technology on the market. MIFARE products comply with the international standard ISO/IEC 14443 and are backward-compatible within the product families. This ensures that the existing infrastructure can be smoothly upgraded to higher security and feature levels, such as payment systems, ticketing solutions, loyalty programs, access management, and parking. To further extend the reach of MIFARE products, the MIFARE4Mobile Industry Group brings MIFARE applications into NFC-enabled mobile devices.
Support & Downloads
Software and Utilities
MIFARE Card Configuration Kit by CardLogix features the MIFARE Card Configuration Utility software program to configure a MIFARE or DESFire card’s file structure with Application IDs (AIDs), to set permissions and keys, and to load data to the card.
Our well known, widely deployed powerful MIFARE®Discover tool is commonly used by the MIFARE development community as it allows to access and handle any MIFARE family chip and data processing feature. This expert tool has been further enhanced to support the latest MIFARE family members of the MIFARE Plus® and the MIFARE DESFire® EV2 platform including the corresponding MIFARE SAM (Secure Access Module) solutions.
Furthermore, ICODE® and NTAG® platform support has been added to the feature set, covering NXP’s entire 13.56 MHz product portfolio now. To reflect these additions the MIFAREDiscover tool has been rebranded to RFIDDiscover.
The tool RFIDDiscover Lite can also be downloaded from MIFARE.net. The full version of the RFIDDiscover tool can be requested in the NXP DocStore – please search for “sw1866”.
TagXplorer PC-Based NFC Tag Reader-Writer Tool
NDEF reader/writer tool for Windows, Mac and Linux Desktop PCs for NXP NFC ICs
Similar to NXP’s TagWriter App for Android the new TagXplorer tool for PCs allows to read, analyze and write NDEF messages to NXP’s NFC tag and smart sensor ICs. The tool is designed using NXP’s TapLinx open Java API and it allows the user to perform NDEF Operations defined by NFC Forum on NFC Forum type 2 and 4 tags for NXP NFC Tag ICs.
MIFARE Explained | Security Level 3 (SL3) Capabilities
The Security Level (SL) concept of NXP’s MIFARE Plus EV2 IC allows for a step-by-step upgrade of the system’s security by switching only certain applications to a higher security level. The highest security level, SL3, offers support for AES-128 based secure messaging and thus helps to prove authenticity, confidentiality and integrity of transactions.
MIFARE Explained | Transaction MAC
The Transaction MAC feature of NXP’s MIFARE DESFire EV3 and MIFARE Plus EV2 ICs can help to prevent fraudulent merchant attacks. It allows to prove the authenticity of executed transactions between the reader terminal and an IC inside a smart card.
MIFARE Explained | Transaction Timer
The Transaction Timer feature of NXP’s MIFARE DESFire EV3 and MIFARE Plus EV2 ICs defends against Man-in-the-Middle attacks. The new feature makes it possible to set a minimum time per transaction, so it’s harder for an attacker to interfere with the transaction. Learn more about the technical details of the Transaction Timer feature and how it can be used to make access control, transport ticketing, and micropayment installations more secure.
MIFARE DESFire EV2 smart card IC includes the MIsmartApp
Are you planning to offer contactless smart life services? Smart cards can be a powerful tool to host various contactless services, such as micropayments, access solutions, transport services – and even ticketing on one smart contactless card. The MIFARE DESFire EV2 smart card IC includes the MIsmartApp which can hold as many different applications as the memory size supports and new applications can be loaded after the card has been deployed into the market.
The MIFARE SDK is designed to provide access to all hardware features on Java level and enables Android apps to be created for MIFARE, ICODE and NTAG more easily than ever before. Leveraging the worldwide success of NXP´s product installations, the launch of MIFARE SDK opens up a world of new possibilities for creative Android application developers.
Have you ever counted how many cards per day you are using? In the end of the day why to use different card for every little thing you have to do? The MIFARE® DESFire® card is one single smart card where you can store all the other cards.