The IP Code (or International Protection Rating, sometimes also interpreted as Ingress Protection Rating*) consists of the letters IP followed by two digits and an optional letter. As defined in international standard IEC 60529, it classifies the degrees of protection provided against the intrusion of solid objects (including body parts like hands and fingers), dust, accidental contact, and water in electrical enclosures. The standard aims to provide users more detailed information than vague marketing terms such as waterproof.
IP64 Enclosure Characteristics:
- Complete protection from dust, oil, and other non-corrosive material
- Complete protection from contact with enclosed equipment
- Protection from water, up to water projected by a nozzle against enclosure from any direction
- Silk-screening, anodizing, or engraving services available
- Custom with cutouts, insulation, hinges, latches or locks