- Advanced built-in security and cryptographic
- High performance
- Stream Encryption Ensures Data Privacy
- Anti-tearing (Power Loss Protection)
- Can Be Used in Virtually Any Reader
- Low cost, and ease of implementation
Atmel AT88SC1616C CryptoMemory® Smart Card
Atmel® AT88SC1616C smart card is a high-performance secure memory devices providing 1-Kbit of user memory with advanced built-in security and cryptographic features. The user memory is divided into four zones, each of which may be individually set with different security access rights or combined together to provide space for one or more data files.
Atmel CryptoMemory® has a configuration memory which contains registers to define the security rights for each user zone and space for passwords and secret keys used by the security logic of CryptoMemory. Through dynamic, symmetric mutual authentication, data encryption, and the use of encrypted checksums, CryptoMemory provides a secure place for storage of sensitive information within a system. With its tamper protection circuits, this information remains safe even under attack.
CryptoMemory also provides high security, low cost, and ease of implementation of host-client type systems without the need for a microprocessor operating system. The embedded cryptographic engine provides for a dynamic, symmetric mutual authentication between the device and host, as well as, performs stream encryption for all data and passwords exchanged between the device and host. Up to four unique key sets are available for these operations.
Program development is supported through the Smart Toolz™ development kit, Winplex™ API, and CardAppz™ application software. The AT88SC1616-ME is available in PVC, ABS, PET, Composite, and Polycarbonate ISO 7810, CR-80, SAM/SIM card, and Keychain form factors.
The device includes a random generator and a proprietary algorithm similar to DES for encrypting data, passwords and providing MAC for read and write operations, thus providing data integrity and certification of data origin. Each device is differentiated from all others after personalization through a unique identification number and set of secret keys. The device secret keys are issued from the application secret keys using an encryption algorithm such as DES, 3DES, AES, etc., which is chosen by the issuer. This function is performed outside of the device.
This is the only Secure Memory family of devices in the industry with mutual authentication between card and reader, and data encryption for both synchronous and asynchronous protocols.
- 16Kbit (2Kbyte) EEPROM user memory
- Sixteen 128-byte (1Kbit) zones
- Self-timed Write Cycles
- Single byte or 16-byte page write mode
- Programmable Access Rights for Each Zone
- 2-Kbit Configuration Memory
- 37-byte OTP Area for User-Defined Codes
- 160-byte Area for User-Defined Keys and Passwords
- High Security Features
- 64-bit Mutual Authentication Protocol (Under License of ELVA)
- Encrypted Checksum
- Stream Encryption
- Four Key Sets for Authentication and Encryption
- Eight Sets of Two 24-bit Passwords
- Anti-tearing Function
- Voltage and Frequency
- Smart card features
- ISO 7816 Class A (5V) or Class B (3V) operation
- ISO 7816-3 asynchronous T=0 protocol (Gemplus® Patent) *
- Multiple zones, key sets and passwords for multi-application use
- Synchronous I²C 2-wire serial interface for faster device initialization *
- Programmable 8-byte (ATR) answer-to-reset register
- ISO 7816-2 compliant modules
- Embedded application features
- Low Voltage Operation: 2.7V to 5.5V
- Secure Nonvolatile Storage for Sensitive System or User Information
- 2-Wire Serial Interface
- 1MHz Compatibility for Fast Operation
- 8-pin smart card module
- Same Pinout as 2-Wire Serial EEPROMs
- High reliability
- Endurance: 100,000 cycles
- Data retention: 10 years
- ESD protection: 4,000V min
The AT88SC1616C provides high security, low cost, and ease of implementation without the need for a microprocessor operating system. The embedded cryptographic engine provides for dynamic, symmetric-mutual authentication between the device and host, as well as performing stream encryption for all data and passwords exchanged between the device and host. Up to four unique key sets may be used for these operations. The AT88SC1616C offers the ability to communicate with virtually any smart card reader using the asynchronous T = 0 protocol (Gemplus Patent) defined in ISO 7816-3.
Smart Card Applications: ID cards, driving licenses, insurance cards, access control, administrative cards, campus cards, voting machines, e-purse, loyalty, energy meters, parking meters, transaction records and multi applications.